- Assistant Professor, Department of Evolution, Ecology and Organismal Biology, The Ohio State University, 2018
- Humboldt Postdoctoral Fellow, Department of Collective Behaviour, Max Planck Institute for Ornithology, 2017
- Smithsonian Postdoctoral Fellow, Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute, 2016
- Ford Predoctoral Fellow, University of Maryland, 2011
- PhD, University of Maryland, 2015
- MSc, University of Western Ontario, 2008
- BSc, Cornell University, 2005
- 2017 National Geographic Grant (WW-057R- 17, $19,275)
- 2017 Smithsonian Postdoctoral Fellowship Research Support ($4K)
- 2013 Animal Behavior Society Student Research Grant ($1,250)
- 2013 NSF Doctoral Dissertation Improvement Grant ($19,737)
- 2012 Grant-in-Aid of Research, American Society of Mammalogists ($1,500)
- 2010 Grant-in-Aid of Research, American Society of Mammalogists ($1,439)
- 2010 Research Grant, Explorer’s Club Washington Group ($1,000)
- 2010 Cosmos Scholar Grant ($2,000)
- 2010 Sigma Xi Grant in Aid of Research ($400)
- 2017 Humboldt Postdoctoral Fellowship ($34K/year)
- 2017 Smithsonian Postdoctoral Fellowship ($24K/6-months)
- 2015 Fulbright Postdoctoral Fellowship Award ($40K/year, declined)
- 2011 Eugenie Clark Summer Fellowship, University of Maryland ($2.1K)
- 2011 Ford Predoctoral Fellowship, National Academy of Sciences ($22K/year)
- 2009 Graduate Fellowship, University of Maryland ($15K)
- 2007 Ontario Graduate Scholarship ($10K)
- 2001 Robert & Helen Appel Presidential Research Scholarship, Cornell
- 2016 NSF Travel Award, International Society for Behavioral Ecology ($1000)
- 2015 Biology Grad Student Research Award, University of Maryland (UMD, $400)
- 2014 Interdivisional Award, American Psychological Association ($500)
- 2013 Research Award, BEES Graduate Program, UMD ($250)
- 2013 Howard J. Brinkley Travel Award, UMD Biology Department ($600)
- 2013 Travel Grant, American Society of Mammalogists ($300)
- 2013 Merit Award, UMD Biological Sciences Graduate Program ($1000)
- 2013 Student Research Video Award, UMD Biology Graduate Program ($500)
- 2012 Best poster award in category, UMD Bioscience Day
- 2008 A. Brazier Howell Award, American Society of Mammalogists ($1,500)
- 2007 Graduate Student Teaching Award, University of Western Ontario ($600)
- 2005 Magna cum laude, Cornell University
- 2005 Paul Schreurs Memorial Award, for excellence in undergrad research ($500)
- 2004 Bat Research News Award, North American Society for Bat Research ($500)
- 2017 Smithsonian Scholarly Studies Award to Rachel Page ($54,168)
- 2015 National Geographic Grant to Yossi Yovel
- 2018 University of Greifswald, Ulm University, University of Bern, German Bat Research Meeting, Heidesee (plenary talk)
- 2017 Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio (job interview)
- 2016 Naturkundemuseum, Berlin, Germany, University of Washington (job interview)
- 2015 Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute “Tupper Talk”, Cambridge University, UK
- 2014 Texas Tech University, Eastern Michigan University, American Psychological Association Meeting
- 2012 Oakland University
- 2007 Instituto de Ecología, UNAM, Mexico.
- 2017. Göttinger Freilandtage: Social Complexity; Cognition, Behavior, and Evolution Network Meeting, Amsterdam; North American Symposium on Bat Research. Knoxville, TN, USA; Behaviour2017. Estoril, Portugal; STRI Fellows Symposium. Panama City, Panama. (poster)
- 2016. International Society for Behavioral Ecology. Exeter, UK; STRI Fellows Symposium, Panama City, Panama.
- 2015. Why vampires network. 45th meeting of the North American Society for Bat Research, Monterey Bay, CA.
- 2014. Complex cooperation: Food sharing in vampire bats is not simply “Tit for tat”. 44th North American Symposium on Bat Research, Albany, NY.
- 2013. Do vampire bats perform reciprocity? International Bat Research Conference. San Jose, Costa Rica; Animal Behavior Society Meeting. Denver, CO.
- 2012. Conference of Ford Fellows. Irvine, CA.
- 2011. Conference of Ford Fellows. Irvine, CA. (poster); 41st North American Symposium on Bat Research, Toronto, ON; 91st Annual American Society of Mammalogists Meeting, Portland, OR.
- 2010. 40th North American Symposium on Bat Research, Denver, CO; Animal Behavior Society Meeting, Williamsburg, NC.
- 2009. 39th North American Symposium on Bat Research, Portland, OR.
- 2008. Do all three vampires duet? 38th North American Symposium on Bat Research, Scranton, PA; Antiphonal exchanges allow individual discrimination in white-winged vampire bats. 88th American Society of Mammalogists Meeting, Brookings, South Dakota. (Winner of 2008 A. Brazier Howell Award)
- 2007. 14th International Bat Research Conference, Merida, Mexico; 87th American Society of Mammalogists Meeting, Albuquerque, NM.
- 2006. Antiphonal calling behaviour in white-winged vampires (Diaemus youngi). 36th North American Symposium on Bat Research, Wilmington, NC; Investigating host preferences in the white- winged vampire (Diaemus youngi). Annual Bat Association of Taiwan Meeting. Taiwan Endemic Species Research Institute, Taiwan.
- 2004. Noninvasive identification of the avian host species of white-winged vampire bats (Diaemus youngi) from fecal samples. 34th North American Symposium on Bat Research, Salt Lake City, Utah. (Winner of 2004 Bat Research News Award)
Teaching assistantships: Mean student evaluation score = 3.8 out of 4 (University of Maryland Biology Department average = 3.2/4, college average = 3.1)
- 2015 Principles of Animal Behavior, University of Maryland (UMD)
- 2010 Principles of Genetics, UMD
- 2009 Human Anatomy and Physiology, UMD
- 2007 Introductory Biology, University of Western Ontario (UWO)
- 2006 Animal Behaviour, UWO (2007 Graduate Student Teaching Award)
- 2006 Introductory Biology, laboratory, UWO
- 2004 Field Biology, Cornell University
Invited guest lectures
- 2015 2 lectures, Animal Behavior, UMD College Park
- 2013 1 lecture, Animal Behavior, UMD Baltimore County
- 2012 Graduate seminar on social network analysis, UMD
- 2010 Graduate seminar on evolution of cooperation, UMD
- Contract Naturalist, Audubon Naturalist Society, Woodend Nature Sanctuary, 2011
- Activity Leader at Tunbridge Afterschool Program, Tunbridge, VT. I developed and led an 8-week course called “Curious Naturalists” for K-6 students, 2007
- Bat Specialist, Cusuco National Park, Honduras, Operation Wallacea, Summer 2005
- Program Director, Ecology & Environmental Science, Camp Wakpominee, 2000-2002
- 2017 “Bat Nights” at Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute (every month), National Public Radio video
- 2016 12 “Bat Nights” at the Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute, and several other small-group presentations
- 2015 Caves and the origins of echolocation. National Speleological Society, DC Grotto, 5/21/15; Howard Hughes Medical Institute JumpStart Program
- 2014 Museum of Texas Tech University. 10/30/14. Lubbock, Texas; Great Lakes Bat Festival. 9/28/14. Ann Arbor, Michigan (2,750 attendees); Public display volunteer with Organization for Bat Conservation at GM Wintergarden; Howard Hughes Medical Institute JumpStart Program; ATLAS Symposium for recruiting under-represented minorities in STEM
- 2013 Great Lakes Bat Festival. 9/28/13. Southfield, Michigan (2,250 attendees); Cave bats and bat caves. National Speleological Society, DC Grotto, 9/12/13; Great Lakes Bat Festival. Two talks and all-day video presentation. 9/29/12. Southfield, Michigan.
- 2012 Southfield Public Library. 9/28/12; raised $4,697 through the scientific crowdfunding site petridish.org; Annandale, VA bat event 8/15/12; Arlington, VA Bat Festival 8/19/12; Howard Hughes Medical Institute JumpStart Program (also 2014, 2015), AIBS Cross-generational Conversation Event in DC
- pre-2012 Cranbrook Institute of Science, Bloomfield Hills, Michigan. 12/22/10; 50+ voluntary public talks on bats at summer camps and other organizations
Article peer reviews (>76)
Current Biology (1), Proceedings B (7), Biology Letters (1), Ecology Letters (1), American Naturalist (1), Philosophical Transactions B (1), Behavioural Ecology (1), Animal Behaviour (7), Behavioral Ecology and Sociobiology (10), PLOS ONE (17), Royal Society Open Science (2), Integrative and Comparative Biology (2), Ethology (5), Journal of Mammalogy (5), Behavior (3), Scientific Reports (2), Acta Chiropterologica (3), Zoo Biology (2), Biotropica (1), Behavioral Processes (1), WIREs Cognitive Science (1), Bat Research News (1), Hystrix (1), and Frontiers in Comparative Psychology (1) .
Animal Behavior Society Student Research Grants (1), North American Society for Bat Research Student Awards (1)
- since 2004, North American Society of Bat Research
- 2006-2015, American Society of Mammalogists
- since 2009, Animal Behavior Society
- since 2016, International Society of Behavioral Ecology
- served on the UMD Department of Biology Graduate Student Selection Committee
- served as Student Representative for Behavior, Ecology, Evolution, and Systematics Graduate Program, acting as a liaison between the student body and the department at the University of Maryland in 2012. Changed the website from static to a wiki.
- volunteered at the ATLAS Symposium for recruiting under-represented minorities in science, tech, engineering, and math.
- designed logo for North American Society of Bat Research (declined cash prize)
- tutored a teacher at the Gamboa Discovery School, Panama in basic statistics, 2016
- tutored at-risk youth in GED at Our House Job Training Center, 2010-2011
- mentored kids for 4-H Urban Youth Program, 2003-2004
- “Alyssa Stewart Service Award For Graduate Students Helping Other Graduate Students Which Is The Most Prestigious Service Award Offered Even Though You Can’t Write It On Your CV.”