Carter Lab (Spring 2019) left to right:
- Bridget Brown (MSc student) is testing the role of scent cues for roost finding in bats.
- Imran Razik (PhD student) studies causes and consequences of individual variation in cooperativeness of female vampire bats.
- David Girbino (Undergrad) is testing whether first impressions between strangers predict formation of long-term relationships.
- Theresa Chen (PhD student) is assessing kinship information in contact calls. She will also be studying reciprocity in rats with Michael Taborsky in Switzerland.
- Gerry Carter (Assistant Professor, CV) is testing if and how vampire bats regulate their food-sharing relationships.
- Emma Kline (Undergrad, not shown above) is testing if proximity loggers change the behaviors of bats
- Simon Ripperger (Postdoc, shown below on left) is using proximity loggers to track bat social networks in the wild.
- Sebastian Stockmaier (PhD student, UT Austin) studies the effects of sickness on social behavior.
- Aura Raulo (PhD student, Oxford) and Karthik Yarlagadda (PhD student, U Illinois) both study microbiomes.
- Rachel Page (Staff Scientist, Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute) is a sensory ecologist who works on frog-eating bats. She was my postdoc advisor and hosts our research in Panama.
- Damien Farine (PI, Max Planck Institute for Ornithology) was another postdoc advisor. He uses social network to understand individual and collective behavior.
- Alex Ophir (Faculty, Cornell) and Angela Freeman (Postdoc, Cornell) will help us understand the neuroendocrine basis for cooperation in bats.
- Liz Hobson (Santa Fe Institute) will help us understand social dominance.
Past ‘Team Vampire’ members at the Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute:
- Darija Josic (2017)
- Samuel Kaiser (2017)
- Jineth Berrio-Martinez (2017)
- Katharina Eggert (2017)
- Nia Toshkova (2017)
- Hugo Narizano (2016)
- Julia Vrtilek (2016-2017)
- Ellen Jacobs (2016)
- Rachel Moon (2016)
- Yelitza Garcia (2016)
- Emily Dong (2016)
- Yesenia Valverde (2016)
- Rachel Crisp (2016- 2017)
- Sebastian Stockmaier (2016-2017)
- Jana Nowatzki (Spring 2016)
Past research assistants at University of Maryland:
- Erik Kim (Spring 2013)
- Edward Hurme (Summer 2013)
- Micah Miles (2013)
- Lauren Leffer (2013- 2014)
- Collin Mummert (Spring 2012)
- Anna Jiang (Fall 2011)
- Tanya Tran (Fall 2011)
- Alex Lundy (Summer and Fall 2011)
- Ryane Logsdon (Summer 2011)
- Adi Shaked (Fall 2010)
Older Lab Photos